Thursday, October 21, 2010

HE CRIED THIS MORNING.....

I made Bill sausage and gravy this morning....  usually it is eggs, grits and toast.   He didn't eat a lot of his gravy so after he finished, I took him a biscuit with molasses.    He said that reminded him of my Daddy, and tears started streaming down his face. We lived next door to him and Bill said he could  remember helping Daddy make molasses and seeing the smoke coming from the fire.   Then I cried.  That used to be a good time.  My Mother, rest her soul would always make a pan of biscuits and let us "sop"  the remains out of the pan after Daddy had emptied most of the molasses.   

That's the second time since we've been married that I have seen him cry.....so underneath somewhere there is a tender spirit.  I'm glad I got to see it!!!!

6 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh my, that makes me cry. I don't know when I last had biscuits and syrup. My grandpa had a sugar cane mill at his house, so cane syrup was our staple. I didn't even know there was another kind.

Margie's Musings said...

In our 56 years, I only saw Bob cry once. It was when we thought I had ovarian cancer and was ready to go to the hospital for surgery when I went in for one more exam. At this exam, the tumor was gone...completely gone. I had taken six weeks off work for the surgery and Dr. Smithson said "Just go back home..it's gone." Bob put his head down on the roof of the car and cried.

Teresa said...

Sometimes we make ourselves hard and nearly unlovable when we are hiding our weakness and insecurity. You are a good wife to Bill and he knows it. I hope you know it too.
(((hugs))) t.

Marci said...

What a sweet and tender story, Clara. I am glad you get a glimpse of what is in there every once in awhile. Big hugs to you!!

Anonymous said...

Biscuits and molasses are one of my very favorite things in this world. Makes me want one so bad right now! Glad you saw a soft side finally! Hope you get some rest this weekend.

Lola said...

I totally agree with Ladyfromthewoods. Some times it is nice to see the softer side of a certain person.
Hope you get some much needed rest.