Monday, March 19, 2007

Old Country Sayings....(All Gussied Up And No Where To Go).

I heard someone on the Radio say (I didn't just fall off the hay wagon). Which I gathered he meant he wasn't stupid. My Mother always said when she got dressed up, that she was all gussied up. And when she was frustrated she would say (For crying out loud) rather that swear. Judge Judy says (Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining) Which I gather means don't lie to me. I have a collection of old sayings that I have been writing down on paper for over ten years. I have over 600. What's some of your old sayings, from your past or now? Here are a few more of mine.....
She was all over him like a dog on a pork chop.
She's sharper than a tack. (smart)
Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it. (Think on it)
"Bye, bye and keep the shiny side up" (Means to drive safely and not flip your car)
I'll be there in three shakes of a lamb's tail"
I'll give it a lick and a promise. (In a hurry)

Now, tell me some of yours.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

A lick and a promise!! My Mom used to say that one a lot. She also used to use the word "plagued" instead of embarrassed. She'd say, "I was plagued to death!!" I don't think I ever heard anyone else say that.

"He's poorer than Job's turkey"
"Lord willing and the creek don't rise."
"I'm madder than a wet hen!!"
"Lower than a snake's belly."

Just a few I thought of!! Takes me back Clara! 600!! Whoa!! That's a lot! You could write a book!!

Marci said...

Oh Clara hearing the ones you mentioned and reading the ones that Rachel put in her comments makes me think I am back home. Here are a couple more from my past (and my future)...

"What in the hen fuzz?" - Meaning, what in the world is that?

"I'll be a suck egg mule.." - In place of "Well, I'll be".

"They were on it like a duck on a june bug."

"He was happier than a hounddog in a butcher shop"

I'm sure there are more... This is all that came right to mind.

Reviekat said...

My favorite is "More timid than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs!" I know it's long but it's been around for a long time because my grandparents used it a lot.

L. said...

How about:
"Don't let the door hit you on your way out!" : )